quarta-feira, 9 de abril de 2008

YAY! Paper!

Some people like french fries with ice cream. Other people can't put their socks on without counting their toes before. Some people are so crazy about soccer that they barely breath during a soccer match. No, actually some not only breath as also scream, yell, shout, curse, punch the floor, cry. Because of eleven men running after a ball. Super cool. I know some people who wash their hands every 10 minutes or so. Others like to listen to Michael Bolton tunes - pretending to be him.

Me?

I like paper stores.

My drawings are childish and I'm nor artistic at all. But still, I could spend a long time (not hours, just to be very clear) testing pens, looking at all those brushes, papers and checking out all the stationery items that have always caught my eyes. I've always liked paper stores, since I was a kid. Of course I love book stores and I have this girlie "cliché" thing for shoe stores and clothes stores. But I feel really good when I'm in a paper store, surrounded by... well, papers of all colors, checking out all the new cute notebooks in the market of notebooks.

Because of this apparently weird taste of mine I had this conversation last Saturday:

"You know a kind of store that I really like? Besides make-up and shoes?"
"Tell me..."
"Paper stores."
"WHAT?"
"Yeah, paper stores."
"But do you draw?"
"No."
"Are you an artist and I didn't know?"
"Nope."
"So WHY paper stores?"
"Because it's nice, all those colorful pens... I feel good."
"I can understand why... YAAAAY PAPERS!"
"Hey, don't mock me! I've met other people who like paper stores too."
"Where have you met them? In paper stores?"
"No, in life..."
"Alright. I bet it was in a FREAK MEETING of FREAK PEOPLE who like paper stores."
"I'm not a freak!"
"PA-PERRR!"
"Ok, stop. Let's go to the bookstore, you want to buy some books and I'm gonna show you two of my favorite authors."
"No, thanks. I can't trust a woman who likes paper stores."
"You can trust my literary taste. It's really very good. I suck at Math but I'm a good reader."
"No. PAPER. STORE."

If people have the most different tastes for the most different things, why is it so weird that I like all the colorful items in a paper store?

That's why in my way things would be something like this:

"You know a kind of store that I really like? Besides make-up and shoes?"
"Tell me..."
"Paper stores."
"Seriously? That's cool. Actually, that's very authentic!"
"Yeah, I know. And because of that you deserve a kiss!"

See? Compliment and kiss, this is the portrait of a beautiful scene.

(And after writing this I conclude that women will always be girls, men will always be boys, no matter where and no matter how old they are. Not that I'm old - you know that I'm still young and sweet, only twenty nine. Anyway, "my way" is cute because it has a kiss and kisses are always welcomed, but the truth is that the original dialogue was pretty cool. I like having that kind of conversation. Or argument. Or silly talking. And, let's face it, men are usually very good at picking on girls, women are good at... I don't know. Answering back? Pretending we're pissed? Anyway. You understood.)

4 comentários:

gi disse...

Amiga, your my soulmate and we'll life happily ever after.

I love paper stores. I love all those kinds of thick and thin pens. I buy lots of notepads (also because I'm a journalist) and lots of notebooks and sketchbooks. I don't draw. Sometimes I try and it comes out awful. But I love collecting them. Sometimes I write too, but I prefer to write at the compute.

Anyway, I do understand you sooo much. And one of the reasons that I love my bf is that he loves paper stores too and he understand stuff 'cos he's studied design. Perfect. :D

Luv u, xurumaz.
G.

gi disse...

*live happily ever after

Camila disse...

XURUMAS! Quando você vier para Sampa again, vamos numa papelaria do lado da Cultura-Amusement Park. Tipo, dia todo entre uma e outra.

We're definitely soulmates, but I'm MUCH less indie than you, HA HA.

Clandestina disse...

You know, I don't get the weird thing. Since I was a kid I always loved paper stores too, not that much for buying, but for some window shopping mainly. (Well, actually I'm a designer, maybe that counts too)

But I confess that's not my freaking point. My wacky side is that I always LOVED 'banca de jornal' (how is the that in English?)

Anyway, and I never get why people go so freaking crazy for football as well.