domingo, 16 de março de 2008

The sex(y) and the zouk

(don't read if you're a radical catholic who thinks sex is a sin. Visit here and have fun.)

I was in my dance class trying not to make a fool of myself daning the zouk. Zouk is a dance that, if you're not dancing, you'd define it as a mix of the old lambada with some sort of courtship dance. If you look closer, I mean, if you really pay attention and have a little bit of a twisted mind you'd say that it's more of a copulation dance than a courtship dance. Although both mean basically the same, let's face it: copulation sounds way dirtier than courtship. Well, I belong, of course, with the second group. So, if I truly think it looks like some kind of pre-copulation ritual and I don't see this as something, let's say, positive, why the hell am I dancing to this rythm? Simple answer: I love dancing. Any kind of dance. If you tell me that I'll have to learn an old african ritual dance, I'll be into it. Besides, zouk looks strange when you're just watching it but it feels awesome when you're dancing it. My only problem with the zouk is that you must dance CLOSE. Like feel-your-dance-partner's-chest-and-thighs close, but that is acceptable. The problem is that some guys dance a feel-your-partner's-liver close, which is a little bit disturbing for me. I really think that when you dance with someone and REALLY connect, it can be a great foreplay - if you let it happen, of course. I'm the kind of girl who likes to choose carefully the guy I want some foreplay with, you know... So when I have to dance zouk and the guy grabs my back and brings me close to his, I don't know, lungs, I feel a little bit awkward - mainly because most guys in my dance classes are, let's say, not very attractive (in MY humble opinion).

So, back to the beginning after this long prologue: I was trying not make a fool of myself dancing the zouk during my class. I was dancing with a guy who's there to support the teachers. He's a GREAT dancer, a great teacher, the one responsible for me not giving up on this crazy and DIFFICULT dance. He taught me the correct way to spin and if you learn that, you're able to learn any step. The point is that, as I've mentioned before, zouk is sexy. That's why it seems more like a copulation dance. The couple must interact in a way that looks like a body seduction game - which means that BOTH move their hips side-to-side-non-stop-oh-yeah and look to each other and, well, seduce each other. Lots of cambrès, lots of hair thrown up and down, side to side, in the end your hair is so messy that not even a fork can tidy it up.

Usually I don't do any of these sexy interaction things. I move my hips (I'm brazilian, I'm supposed to know how to move my hips, right? It's genetic), I throw my hair all around (that part is NICE) and I can try all the cambrès. But don't ask me to be sexy or to act sexy or to make a sexy look. I'm unable to do that if I'm not dancing with a guy who I want to... well... dance a mix of "Sexyback" and "Summer Love" (1:53 to 1:56, wow) with in bed. Ha. Then I was dancing yesterday with this very good and sweet and not attractive dance partner (I feel horrible for saying that, but truth always hurt) and everything was going perfectly. I was feeling like the zouk queen, although I guess this is a title that doesn't exist. I was the dancing queen, young (YES) and sweet (irony), only twenty nine when my dance partner, who had taught me lots of new steps in yesterday's class, tells me:

He: Perfect, Camila, really nice! Now you have to work on your sexy skills. Let's try, you have to move your hips side to side, only that, and follow me looking at me, chasing me.
Me: *BURST INTO LAUGHS* Me? NOW? Sexy? No way! *burst into laughs, again*

I know, shame on me. What am I, twelve? What kind of dance learner am I? I'll tell you: a lame one. LAME. So I moved my hips and followed him around and looked at him, but I wasn't sexy at all. At a certain point I had to go around him then put one my hands on his head and slide it 'til his neck. HOT. Hot? Not really, I felt clumsy.

:-(

That's where "My way" begins. Because in my imaginary world, it would've happened like this:

My dance partner would be someone like Justin Timberlake. Because he's so damn sexy. Like, really, really, really sexy³. Guess I was clear enough about his sexyness. So, I'd be dancing with Justin, the Zouk God. And he would NEVER had to TELL me to be sexy, because, in fact, I'd be a natural. It'd be a piece of cake. I'd be some sort of Sexy Zouk Goddess, that would perfectly match with Justin, the Zouk God. He'd be my soul zouk mate. He'd be my Patrick Shwayze in "Dirty Dancing" - ohhh I've had the time of life, no I've never felt this way before. And we'd dance perfectly seductive and sexy, with all the hip moves and sexy looks and hair all around and hands sliding around his neck. We would redefine what is CLOSE and what is dancing CLOSE. People would envy us because never in zouk history a couple had danced so perfect together *sighs*. I wouldn't dance with anyone else and all dance classes would end up in... Well. Would end up incredibly well.

That's it.

My way is naughty, I know. But still: is so much better than my real life.

12 comentários:

Sami disse...

Hey it's okay. I'm exactly the same just a little more... klutzy. hang it there.

Anônimo disse...

It's time for you to bring sexy baaaaaaack. *sexy moan*

Camila disse...

Spaz, that's good to know I'm not alone in my clumsiness...

Gi, my Xurumas, I totally agree. I really need to bring sexy back. Sexy, sex, everything, hahahaha.

Lilaise disse...

Justin? Like, for real? Not that I can REALLY talk about someone's taste, but he's not that sexy on the wonderful world of Lila.

Camila disse...

Lilaise, for real REAL. Have you ever seen these two videoclips I linked on this text? Watch them. Not that I want to change your mind, but I guess you'll understand why I find him so damn sexy.

Anônimo disse...

Have you seen the video which Justin drinks tequila during a gig?
Oh, yeah. He really is the Dance God.

Btw, I just got here by accident and I loved. May I become a visitor?

Anônimo disse...

I loved your blog... but I will have to agree with Lilaise, Justin is not my sexy type either... hehe

Felipe Lobo disse...

Well, even I don't know how to make sexy faces, I can't dance anything. ANYTHING! (well, let's consider eletronic music not a "dance", 'cause it's not, I guess).
But I appreciate who can do it. And Zouk is a very, very sexy dance. Once a woman, trying to seduce me, invited to dance along her. Hum, I couldn't follow her, of course, but tha dance, the steps are so sexy that she seduced me. At least that night.
I liked your english blog version! ;)
=**

Camila disse...

Lara, SURE! Be my guest here!

Ro, we've never shared the same taste, ahaha...

Felipe, wow! I have never tried to seduce any guy by dancing zouk, but I have here a testimonial of its effectiveness! So I might try it someday...

MG disse...

Wow that is such a great post. I want to learn Zouk! I was reading about it the other day actually, about a posh London woman who went to the wrong side of town to a bar where she danced Zouk. It's Angolan, right?

I once danced with a guy at a salsa club, he flashed a look at my hips he looked at me with approval and said "If you dance like that with your husband you're gonna damage him..."

Salsa can be danced very close too, but I've only seen Cubans really do it actually touching hips. A wonderful Cuban dancer once took me to out dance, he grabbed me really close and said "Closer! I'm Cuban you know!"

Luckily he was a great dancer and pretty sexy...

Camila disse...

MG, what a great visit! Thanks for "coming by"!

Well, I don't think it's Angolan. Last week I had here with me a friend who lived in Angola for two years, I took him to the dance club and he only knew salsa. He had never heard of zouk. I heard some rumors about being a dance from some island in the Caribbean and it became more popular in France. Most of the zouk songs in my classes were in French...

I read your blog and I know how much you love salsa. I assume you can dance it pretty well. Actually after reading what the guy told you, I'm sure you can dance well. You're mexican, you're also "supposed" to know how to dance and do hip moves to astonish men around, haha...

I haven't been any luck in dancing with a sexy guy this year. Then I wouldn't mind the closeness at all... ;-)

Camila disse...

haven't been any LUCKY

heh